Tuesday, October 1, 2013

New to Me Cabinet

 
For more than 6 months now I have been in search for the perfect cabinet to use as extra storage in our kitchen. Actually, it has probably been closer to a year. Since we didn't have a ton of money extra to spend on a large piece of furniture, I knew I was going to need to keep an eye out on Craigslist, thrift shops and rummage sales for a piece that I could give a new life to. Finally after months of searching, by luck, I came across a fabulous solid wood cabinet and hutch on one of those fun Facebook garage sale pages. Does your community have one? I have found some great deals on our without having to leave my couch. Anyways, one evening I was scrolling through tons of photos of junk and came across my perfect piece at a newly reduced price. Perfect! The next day after some heavy lifting (very little done by me) I had a new piece of furniture taking up space in my garage. I don't have the space in my house for the top hutch cabinet, but the bottom half was perfect, well almost. 
 
 I had plenty of ideas of what I wanted to do. I had colors in mind and new hardware in mind, I just had to find the time to actually start sanding and painting this very old and grimy cabinet. The morning finally came when the girls were gone and Josh was working. I dug out the sander, turned on some music and did my thing. The color I ended up choosing is called Seal Bark, it is a lovely shade of gray and will look even more perfect once I can find the motivation to paint my kitchen and get new curtains. I loved my pale yellow and burgundy colors when we moved into our home 7 years ago, but I am ready for it to be gone now. My style over the years has changed and I am slowly transforming one room at a time.
Hopefully this fall I will find the time to repaint my kitchen. There are so many small spots and way too many corners, I know this will be a huge job and seeing as I am the only one who paints in the house, it's going to take another day of the house being empty and that doesn't happen very often.

1 comment: