Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Our Thankgiving Trip

This year we headed north to Wisconsin to spend Thanksgiving with my family. It was wonderful getting up there, since it has been five years since we were last able to spend Thanksgiving in the frozen tundra. Lillian and Claire were so excited to see all of their Grandmas and Grandpas up north, we had a total of 3 sets to visit. They sure are lucky girls to have so many grandparents to love and hug. 
We left Wednesday morning and after driving all day hearing Claire say, "I want to see Grandpa Mark Sandy. I want to go to their house" over and over, we finally arrived in Green Bay around dinner time. They were very excited to get out of the car, play and run wild.  On Thanksgiving day, we cheered along with a house that was full of people dressed in their finest green and gold and celebrated another win. There was wonderful food and great company into the evening hours. Friday evening we headed to Sir Bounce-a-Lot for dinner and fun with Grandpa Mark, Grandma Sandy, Auntie Holly, Aunt Susie, and cousins Ray and Shay. Lillian and Claire were full of giggles as they bounced and played games. Of course, none of the kids were very interested in eating their pizza, they just wanted to play. Imagine that.




 When we arrived back to Grandma and Grandpa's house, the girls had to run in the yard to check out all of the Christmas lights Grandma Sandy worked so hard putting up earlier in the day.
 Saturday morning while Josh was helping my Dad, the girls helped Grandma Sandy decorate the Christmas tree. They loved it and they were sad when they ran out of ornaments to hang on the tree. They were so excited to get back home to decorate their own little tree.
 Saturday afternoon we went to visit my grandparents in Milwaukee, the girls great grandparents. It is always so nice being able to spend some time at their house, really the only thing that hasn't changed over the years, and catching up. I love my grandparents and I really wish we could see them more often then we do.
After visiting with Grandma and Grandpa Z, we headed even further south in Wisconsin to Racine to spend some time with my mom and Billy in the Racine area. That evening, Josh and I headed back into Milwaukee for my 10 year high school reunion. It was such a strange feeling being in the same room with so many people I have not seen or talked to for over 10 years now. It was great catching up, I just wish more of the people I actually hung out with attended. Maybe at the 20 year. :-)
On Sunday, Grandma Jessie made her delicious homemade waffles (I really should find myself a waffle maker, and not a Belgian waffle) while we all hung out in our jammies. Later that morning we headed to the mall to find Santa. Lillian was really excited to see Santa, Claire had no interest. We told them Santa gives out candy canes and they got them a little more excited. Turns out, this Santa gives out coloring books and not candy canes, Lillian was sure to tell him she wanted her candy cane. Claire wanted nothing to do with the coloring book from Santa and threw it at Lillian. Oh and since it was Grandma's idea, I stood back and let her deal with the possibility of screaming children. There were no tears, but Claire would not let go of Grandma, so our Santa picture this year has Grandma Jessie in it.

 Those Santa display folks are quite crafty. They set up all the trees, computers, cameras in such a way that it is nearly impossible to try and sneak your own photo. This was the best I could get. I will have to scan the picture Grandma bought and share it. Claire looks afraid and Lillian was flashing her fake smile. Sunday afternoon, Uncle Mark, Jeannie and cousin Coy, came over to visit and play. I, of course, didn't take a single picture. Actually, I was terrible about taking pictures the entire trip. I love seeing the girls playing with their cousins.
Monday morning we woke up bright and early to head home. The girls were ready to be home and get back to their normal. They both fell asleep on the way home, which meant, I was able to take a short nap as well.
 Yes, Claire slept with her sunglasses on like this. ;-)
We had a great trip seeing everyone. It is always so hard to leave Wisconsin, especially when we have no idea when we will be able to head back up or have someone come visit us. Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had a blast! I love the sunglasses picture!

    ReplyDelete