Thursday, March 31, 2011

Savannah

I mentioned the other day that I just spend last week Wednesday through Sunday morning on a weekend away with around 60 other MoMs (moms of multiples) in Savannah, GA. It was wonderful getting away and taking time to myself and enjoying the company of the women who have given me so much support in the last 2.5 years. We rented 4 large houses, had delicious dinners out, relaxing afternoons and more laughs then I could have imagined. When I arrived Wednesday afternoon, I met two other ladies at the airport and we all jumped in a cab to get to the main house, where a smaller group (20) of us would spend the night. The other ladies would all arrive on Thursday and then some of us went to other houses for the remainder of the days and some would stay at the big house. The "big house" was 5 floors plus a carriage house. I believe there were a total of 10 bedrooms, each with their own bathroom. There was a beautiful kitchen, living room and dining room. This place was stunning. Here is a photo of the back of the house, each floor also had its own balcony. My room Wednesday night was on the forth floor and I had an amazing view out of my window and while standing on the balcony.
Thursday through Sunday I stayed at another historic home. It was perfectly decorated and felt like home. I was lucky enough to share the master suite with another mom of identical girls. We had a lot of down time to relax, explore the city and visit. Savannah is a gorgeous city to walk around and learn the history. One afternoon while walking, myself and another lady came across an old cemetery. Many of the graves here were from the 1820 yellow fever epidemic.


There were so many gorgeous trees and they all had something called Spanish Moss on them. I still do not fully understand how it gets on the trees and why it is there, but I do know that it is not actually a moss at all and those pesky chiggers live in it, so you do not want to touch or you will be miserable.
There are so many beautiful tree lined streets. However, they are not just lined, but the trees arch over the streets, I can only imagine how stunning it looks when all the trees are in full bloom and have all their leaves. There are so many azalea bushes in shades of pink and purple.
Another thing that caught my attention was a pizza and ice cream shop called "Sweet Melissa's." Really, with a name like that how can you go wrong?
You can walk down by the river where there are tons of shops and restaurants.
Another place that was a must see was a delicious cupcake shop called Cupcake Emporium. They had dozens of flavors to choose from and it seriously took me longer to decide on a flavor then to eat the one I chose. After much debate, I settled on chocolate chip cookie dough with a vanilla butter cream frosting.
This stunning building is Savannah's city hall. When it was originally built it was gold leaf on the dome.
This was was sign that hung Moon River Brewing Co. where I had dinner Saturday night.
I didn't take many pictures while there, but I have so many memories that I will hold onto forever.

4 comments:

  1. the "another lady" is really glad you were up for such a long walk that day! I saw so much of Savannah, up close and personal and I am glad I had a good walking buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish we could have spent more time together momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw! you had my room on wednesday night! :) funny!

    love the pictures, just wish we could have hung out more. ah well, next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seriously looks like so much fun! I am so glad you finally got to meet all these ladies you have become "close" to online. I believe in the power of the internet, for sure!

    And all those photos make me want to visit there. And maybe have a cupcake - or two =)

    ReplyDelete