Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Wisconsin!!!

Ready for another picture post over load? I hope so,  because you are about to get it. I had a hard time narrowing down the pictures I wanted to share, mostly because I know some family members check our blog frequently and want to know more about our trip or see some of our highlights.

I loved getting back to Wisconsin to see my family, we don't get to go nearly as often as I would like. We have not been up there since Thanksgiving, so 10 months is way too long. We have been talking about this trip for so long to the girls and they have been so excited to see everyone and do all of the fun things we had planned.
We drove up Monday, August 6th and our first stop along the way was my mom's house. It was nice being up there on her birthday and my sister, Holly, even brought a cake over. The weather was beautiful, so we spent as much time as possible outside.


On Tuesday, Josh, my mom, myself and the girls headed to Apple Hollar. This was the warmest day while up there, so we had some pink cheeks, but still a fantastic day. The girls fed the goats, played in the orchard, saw some horses and played on the playground.



 They were starting to gear up for the fall apple picking season, so the scarecrows were coming out and Lillian and Claire thought they were so funny.
 Tuesday evening, my mom graciously watched the girls for us, so we could head to the Brewers game. this was a fun night to hang out with Mark, Holly, her boyfriend, my dad, Sandy and her son, Mark and his wife Jen. We tailgated with everyone before the game, but while watching the game it was just the siblings. It was a beautiful night for a baseball game and we were able to catch up and joke around. I am not so sure some of the other fans around us were enjoying our chatter, but it is what it is.

 I wish I had taken a picture of Mark, Holly, myself and Josh. Maybe next time.

Wednesday morning after the girls were up and ready for the day, we took the to the state fair. I love the fair. I used to volunteer with Camp Ammon at the Wisconsin State Fair and lived at the fair every summer from the time I was 14 years old until I was 19 and had my last summer living at home. This was a volunteer camp, where we sleep on cots in giant event tents. Since then, I have only been back to the fair one other time and it was before I was pregnant with the girls.  I couldn't wait to get back and introduce it to the girls.
Our first stop was the Herb Kohl milk booth. This is one thing that has not changed, they charge 25 cents for a cup of milk. They have a variety of flavors, but my favorite is chocolate. Josh also had chocolate milk, Lillian had strawberry and Claire asked for the root beer flavor.
 We visited the chickens, cows, rabbits and saw a few other animals, before finding something for lunch.
 After lunch we did more walking and exploring. I am so proud of how well the girls did. they were getting tired, but they walked the whole day for us. We didn't have room to bring our wagon with us on our trip and I really didn't want to spend the $15 to rent one for the day since I knew they would prefer to walk. Before we could leave, we promised the girls an ice cream cone. We decided to go with the square scoop, dipped in chocolate and sprinkles. Poor Lillian. I handed her her cone and the cone broke, spilling her ice cream all over the front of her. Luckily, the lady was still scooping our cones and made her a new one. We found a table to sit at while enjoying our ice cream and while sitting the parade came by. It isn't anything big by any means, but it was the first parade the girls have seen in person (I know, I'm a terrible mom, but usually Josh is working the parades in town and the girls have always been so young, it made me nervous to take them by myself).


We needed to make a quick stop in the Expo building before heading back to my mom's house, but still made it to the car right before the first rain drops fell. It rained the entire way back to the house and we got wet running inside. Once the rain let up, we headed outside to splash in the puddles. We ended up spending most of that evenings outside. Lillian and Claire ran around the yard and continued to explore. 


Thursday morning we had to pack up camp and head north. We stopped and spent several hours at my grandparents house in Milwaukee. Lillian and Claire kept my grandma going and once they would see her sit back down, they would grab her hand and want to show her something else. I love that, even though they have only been there a hand full of times and it has been 10 months since the last time they have seen them, they make themselves right at home. A lot has changed in my life over the past 10 plus years, but my grandparents house is one thing that has remained the same and still makes Milwaukee home. Alright, before I start crying while typing this, I need to move on. After giving our many hugs to my grandparents, we continued to venture north and make our stop at Kopps. No trip to Wisconsin is complete without stopping there. Kopps has the most amazing frozen custard and burgers. Since we had just had lunch at my grandparents house, none of us were hungry enough to have a burger, but we each had our own scoop of custard. If you are ever in the Milwaukee area, you seriously need to stop. There are several locations around the area, but the one is Glendale is my favorite since that is where I went all the time while growing up.

Thursday it rained all day. We drove to Green Bay in a heavy down pour. Shortly after we arrived, it started to slow down a little, so my dad took the girls in the back yard and they ran through the rain. They came back in soaked and laughing. All three of them. 

 Friday the weather was beautiful. I know, I mention the weather a lot in this post, but seriously, the entire trip (besides the rain) we had mid-70s, after over a month of 95-105 degree days, this was glorious! Friday we played in the yard, the girls road bikes in the neighborhood and we enjoyed being outside.
 We took the girls to Bay Beach in the hopes they would enjoy the rides more than they did last summer. We arrived  and the place was packed. The winds were also blowing strong off the lake and we were chilly. I was wishing I had brought along all of our sweatshirts, but they were left in the suitcase. My dad bought a bunch of ride tickets and the girls refused to get on any of them. They watched all of the other kids, many younger than them, ride on the cars, bugs and boats, but they wanted nothing to do with it. They were excited about the train. Josh rode with Claire and I sat with Lillian. They loved it. Smiles the entire ride, especially when we were on the straight track and we picked up speed. Their hair was blowing and they laughed.

Friday afternoon my dear friend, Lane came down from Sturgeon Bay to visit with her son, Cooper. We walked up to the park, played in the yard and had a great time catching up. The kids had fun playing together as well. That evening my dad and Sandy put together a delicious fish fry for us.

Saturday morning both of the girls slept in. Claire slept later than Lillian, but it turns out she had a small tummy bug. It was very short lived and thankfully, as far as I know, no one else has caught it. She spent most of the morning lounging on the couch. Lillian ran with Josh to the store, but  both girls were bummed we didn't make it to the zoo with Grandma and Grandpa.
 Saturday we also had my cousins wedding. I was really hoping Claire would be feeling better so we all could attend. There are many family members that had no yet met the girls or have not seen them in person since they were 5 months old, thus the reason I post so many pictures on here and facebook, that is the only way so many family and friends are able to watch the girls grow. Claire was still feeling sluggish, but had not had anything come back up for about 6 hours before the ceremony began, so we decided to take them. We sat in the back and were fully prepared to leave if needed. Lillian sat on my lap and her face lit up when she saw my cousin Sam walk down the aisle looking like a princess as Lillian said. We visited for a little bit after the ceremony, but then took the girls back to the house where we had a baby sitter lined up for the night. Claire fell asleep during the 5 minute car ride back to the house and woke up like her normal self. She was happy and ready to play. We told the sitter about her having a tough morning and let her know if she was not okay with caring for her, we would be okay staying home. She said not worry and she would call if there were issues. Since Claire was acting normal, we felt 100% comfortable leaving her to play.

 Back at the reception we loved visiting with family. I was able to catch up with so many of my cousins I have not seen in years.
 After dinner, we walked across the street with few other family members to the Packers practice field. Yup, it really was right across the street from where the wedding was being held. I love my Packers. I love going to the games, I love watching them on the tv, but I loved being able to watch them practice right in front of me. We saw Rodgers complete a long pass to Driver and everyone cheered. I love football season!
I hate having to say goodbye to my family. It is never easy and takes all that I have not to cry while we drive away or I see them drive away from our house. It is especially difficult when I have no idea when we will get to see them again. I hope it isn't in another 10 months, but you never know.
We had a wonderfully uneventful drive back home on Sunday. The girls were fantastic and we were all ready to sleep in our own beds again. 


We had a fantastic trip and I love that this is going to be one of the first trips north that might stick in the girls memory as they grow older.

1 comment:

  1. Such a great Wisco post :)
    We were actually pretty close to you during a few of your events!!!

    ReplyDelete